Thursday 21 October 2010

What to do when you have no money to buy new clothes.

It's this time of the year again that we are bombarded to buy new clothes.But the last couple of years ,  the whole world in general  and my country in particular, go down financially and this year will be no different   for many of us.
For some others, there will be no shopping craziness because they have gone past the stage of accumulating things and they 'd rather enjoy what they already own.
Despite of all these women are far from perfect and want to renew their wardrobes quite often. It gets boring to wear the same clothes day in and day out. This is what I personally do to revamp my wardrobe without breaking the bank.
  • I've learnt trough trial and error a few basic sewing skills so I can make very simple skirts and dresses. A couple of skirts and dresses are usually what I need to revamp my wardrobe.
  • If I don't feel like going all the way I make a visit to my local shop with sewing supplies and I buy a few things to embelish what I already own. I change the buttons of my cardis , I add pearls...you name it.
  • I raise hem lines and take in shirts to give a better fit. A well fitted garment usually gives the feeling of something new.
  • I keep both summer and winter clothes in the same place and mix them up. In the same spirit I mix the work and play clothes to make new outfits.
  • I raid my mother's wardrobe.
  • I scarf or/and belt to give my outfits a new special vibe.
  • I try new colour combinations. Usually we have a very specific set of colours we use. When I look a tfashion magazines I always notice how colours are combined. Then I try the same colors with my outfits.
  • I tidy my wardrobe often and sometimes I put my clothes in order according to color.Other times according to the type of cloth(skirts with skirts,tops with tops...).In this way I always perceive what I have in new ways.
  • I see if I can find clever ways to wear my clothes. I wear them in layers,I wear dresses as tops or as skirts, I use scarves as belts ,long skirts as dresses under cardis or blazers ...
  • I use different accessories even if I wear the same clothes for some days in a row .This way I get a different vibe out of basically the same clothes.
So , you see I don't need to spend money all the time to buy clothes. The more creative I can be the less new things I need to buy.
Well, what do you do to revamp your wardrobe? Any new tricks that you like to share?

1 comment:

  1. Great tips! I really like the one about switching out the buttons. :)

    ReplyDelete