Monday 18 June 2012

Slow fashion

Both silk top and skirt thrifted  belt skondras  shoes stefania(local shoe maker)
Today's outfit is a tribute to slow fashion. You might ask yourself what's that? I will explain myself. The term goes a few years back almost a decay. It's a term versus fast fashion the endless , mindless aquisition of low quality clothing that we throw away after a few wears. It's imposed on us through advertising ,it destroys the environment and has little to do with true style.
On the contrary slow fashion is when we buy less , good quality clothes we really need or love and this can only happen a couple of times a year. It's also when we swap ,mend, alter ,pass to others or thrift our clothes.It's a choice we make for our clothes to last and not end up in landfills. It's what people used to do for thousands of years before corporations commanded otherwise.
Both items in my outfit are thrifted and in perfect condition (the skirt shortened) and will receive some loving care from me for years to come before they fall apart or upscycled into something else.
This kind of mentality feels so right and so close to me that I am extra happy to get dressed every morning and have fun with fashion and not feel quilty of destroying the recources or have people work like slaves for my clothes.

10 comments:

  1. I love this thought of "slow fashion". Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great look. I haven't been to the thrift store in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look wonderful, and I really like the term "slow fashion". I am going to reflect on that for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You gave all the good reasons to thrift. Slow fashion, like slow food, really seems to be the only ethical and sustainable way to go, and the older I get, the more inescapable that conclusion is.

    You look lovely; I especially like your hair in an up-do like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute outfit!

    What's the weather like in Greece? Is it terribly hot? You always look very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the sentiment and love the styling. Fabulous outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love thrifting! I have found quite a few thrifted pieces in the last couple of weeks. I enjoy mixing my thrifted pieces with newer pieces for a one of a kind look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a big proponent of slow fashion! Nice, bright look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I too am all about slow fashion! Love the print and the colours.xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love this look...the printed shirt is fantastic, and you look amazing in the bright pencil skirt :)

    Natasha ~ TashaDelrae.com

    ReplyDelete